Friday, November 9, 2007

wiki news

The wiki pages were befuddling to me at first as there were so many busy formats and I felt like many of the subjects and ideas were not as connected as those presented in websites or blogs. What was great was the ease of responding to or editing (once I figured out how to go about it on the HCSD Class Demo Wiki ). I couldn't get on The Village Elementary School Wiki or others that I tried, but I think I needed a special password.

I learned that one shouldn't use too many capital letters and have short wiki names, should have an easy and memorable password, that there are clocks which give one the real time/place of fellow wiki students, and a tab to convert and allow for language differences. I learned how to expand on classroom lessons, and got a glimpse at what a flat classroom is. This class has exposed me to new vocabulary words and their meanings. The Flat Classroom project page was illuminating and it was called Illuminate 2007.

I was especially impressed by the knowledge and computer skills of the children at grade levels as low as first grade. I got see what my grandchildren are doing at Village and I am so happy and impressed with them and all their wonderful teachers.
.

No comments: